• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Clean and simple, or big and flash-y?

srock

Is it better to have a clean and simple website design, or an impressive eye-popping display?

It depends on your target market first and foremost. Another thing to consider is increasing numbers of smart-phone users likely to be browsing your site. Smart phone versions of your website are a must if your design is complicated, although a simpler design would translate better to a smart phone. I prefer clean and simple designs that convey information with elegance. What are other people's thoughts?

I’ve always preferred clean and simple designs as well, especially with the advent of smartphones. A little more pizzazz and complexity may have its place in certain markets and demographics. But for the most part, I think it’s best to have information simply displayed and readily available without too many distractions.

Websites that uses to much Macromedia flash or Adobe flash to look cool and hip, did nothing but to slow down my internet connection and crash my browser. Those sites were also nightmarish to browse on mobile devices. Seriously if you want to make your website accessible for everyone, just make a simple site that uses basic HTML. It is not fun to go through a lot of lagging and crashing just to visit a simple website. You have to remember that many people are not blessed with super fast internet connection.

Yeah it does depend on the target market, but I prefer simple things that are attractive at the same time. The colors should be attractive. Instagram recently had an update, and I love it. It's simple yet very convenient and easy to use. They're search tab is awesome now

fabio

I hate when I enter a website, and the main page has just an image occupying almost the entire screen, and no information. You have to make several clicks to find basic stuff like contact information, or what the product is about.

It seems to be a new, annoying, trend in web design: pretty pages with no useful content or information.

I am a simple man with poor aesthetic taste so I would prefer a simple design. But in the internet, the flashier the design, the better in terms of artistry. When our office website was in the designing stage, all I did was chart out the information blocks - what the contents would be like the title, headings, and other information. With the artistic design, I left it to the web contractor who made the draft which our production designer in the office checked and revised. Again, I prefer a simple design but I guess a flashy one is better.

The new Mylot is using a very flashy and cool looking format and people with slow internet connection are having a hard time using the site. Comments won't appear in times of slow internet connection. You should put people with slow internet connection in consideration.

fuzyon

I think it depends on the situation but in general I like clean and simple designs with a beautiful color scheme that doesn't pop too much, users need to feel relaxed when they visit your website and colors like bright red and pink don't necessarily help that.

Clean and simple designs also give favors with people who have slow connection. Majority of internet users now have slow connection and you do not wan't to lose them just because you wanted to have a visually appealing website. A website with basic script and has less pictures works better. Look at Reddit, It is successful because it is not picture heavy.

I have to remind everyone again that many people struggle with their internet connection because of Data cap and I am telling you that it is not a funny thing to deal with. A more simple script consumes less data.

I have seen many website in my life, but what stand outs the most for me are the clean and simple ones. They are more visually attractive rather than the big and flashy websites. Personally, big and flashy websites doesn't feel like reliable websites. Visiting such websites distracts me, to the extent that it drives away the main course of the site. There are just many things going around. Up to this point, this is still one of the mistakes website owners commit, yet they tend to disregard the point when it comes to website design. Simplicity is the key.

ion

Clean and simple design is much better. It doesn't needs to apply more things on your website, specially if it's not helpful. Most of the website are really irritating in our eyes because of that. Much better to have a simple but looks elegant, much more interesting for me and much easy recognize an eye friendly websites.

zenhashy

The answer to the question depends who are your target market. If your target market are children, I would suggest that it would be, as much as possible, flashy. Considering that children have low focus or attention to things, it would be better if it is somewhat catchy to the eyes. If your target market are adults, it is better that it is simple. Adults don't actually mind the design but it is actually its contents.

Isozceles

The internet conection in my country is not the best, sometimes is good, sometimes is bad, sometimes is good, but most of the time is just average. Websites that have big flashy design take forever to lead and most of the time don't even do it properly, while the cleaner more simple sites are a lot more generous to me with my internet. If you took the internet out of the ecuation, I would still go with simple, since they are easier to navigate and can go to the point straight away.

ion

I hate when I enter a website, and the main page has just an image occupying almost the entire screen, and no information. You have to make several clicks to find basic stuff like contact information, or what the product is about.

It seems to be a new, annoying, trend in web design: pretty pages with no useful content or information.
Yeah, you're right and this big images actually is not helpful, and just caused of lagging, it makes your browser runs slowly also, and most of the time this kind of websites has no search engine and you have to scroll it down to find what you looking for.

Yeah, you're right and this big images actually is not helpful, and just caused of lagging, it makes your browser runs slowly also, and most of the time this kind of websites has no search engine and you have to scroll it down to find what you looking for.
I know what you mean. I'm glad I'm not the only seeing this. It's really the issue with most sites nowadays. I find this frequent for bloggers and their websites.

Personally I like clean and simple like minimalism. It really helps load pages quickly than those sites with more things goin' on and the pages tend to lag or load slowly because of heavy designs or graphics with videos or lots of photos in the background and most of the time people really don't mind those things and just head to what is their purpose on the site. Website minimalism for me would be really cool, clean and simple just the important things needed on a website like social media links, contacts and content about the site. A simple font and color combination of maybe 2 or 3 would do justice.

Personally I like clean and simple like minimalism. It really helps load pages quickly than those sites with more things goin' on and the pages tend to lag or load slowly because of heavy designs or graphics with videos or lots of photos in the background and most of the time people really don't mind those things and just head to what is their purpose on the site. Website minimalism for me would be really cool, clean and simple just the important things needed on a website like social media links, contacts and content about the site. A simple font and color combination of maybe 2 or 3 would do justice.
I completely agree. Minimalist designs add something to the mix. They keep you focused on the content and not on the graphics. We made websites to share content. Not to make people stare into graphics.

Top Bottom