• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

In just one day 2 people lost their jobs because of facebook

I have 2 news links that happened in 2 different sides of the world, One in the United States and one in South Africa.

This is Emily Austen, she is a news reporter for Fox Sports and she got fired after she her racist statements on a video from Facebook chat. She basically said some ignorant racist statements that offended many people.

The other person who lost her job today is a South African named Penny Sparrow. She got fired after she posted this statement on Facebook:

I really don't know what these women were thinking but they just lost their high paying job for saying racist stuff online.

MrZekrom

"Think before you click", a rule that all socia media user must follow or else. We are already in the era when almost all people are active in social media. Everything you do is seen by anyone. I hope this will be a lesson to all of us.

pecan

I always say, if you are going to put something online make it either fun or useful, because others will probably see it in that way as well.
These people, as you have listed them, don't strike me as intelligent individuals, first as they were talking unrelated nonsense that are none of their business and second both are semi-literate.

We have a similar case here where a Comelec official had posted in his Facebook account that those who are joining the party of the incoming president are turncoats. A congressman named Rodolfo Fariñas has petitioned the Comelec to remove (or suspend) that guy because Comelec officials should be non-partisan. That means the guy cannot reason out that the post is his personal opinion or freedom of expression cannot be invoke to escape the accusation. The Comelec is still so busy with the checking of the documents submitted by candidates regarding campaign distributions but I'm sure that case against the partisan Comelec official would be tackled.

That is what people get for sharing everything on social media. Why post everyhing that we think and do all the time, everyone doesn't have to know everything about you especially if they are strangers. This is a huge lesson to be learned and of course it had to be the hard way.

It is a great lesson for them. Since they are employed or working for a company which has all the decision to make for their employees. Nevertheless, whether they are employed or not, they shouldn't be too discriminating and being racist. It is a big insult for those who have been singled out for such racist comment. Though in social media like FB, everyone is free to express himself on what has come to his mind either good or bad. He should be careful and be considerate to offend others if it is indeed the truth for ethics and due respect to others.

It is a great lesson for them. Since they are employed or working for a company which has all the decision to make for their employees. Nevertheless, whether they are employed or not, they shouldn't be too discriminating and being racist. It is a big insult for those who have been singled out for such racist comment. Though in social media like FB, everyone is free to express himself on what has come to his mind either good or bad. He should be careful and be considerate to offend others if it is indeed the truth for ethics and due respect to others.
Trump became a president though and he never apologized that his racist rants had encouraged White Supremacists to attack minorities. Many of them even got viral on social media.

remnant

I would like to caution those who are in regular employment especially by companies to be judicious about what they post on social media. I have heard of people fired from their jobs on account of updates carrying negative comments about their bosses and related issues without knowing that they are being monitored using discrete Facebook and Twitter accounts. This can even happen during the interview stage prior to joining the company. You have to be careful on the pictures you post and even the nature of the account names which may suggest that you are unethical or reckless.

ray

Isn't it being common in different parts of the world and not in western countries only? We can see and hear racist activities in all countries where majority either tries to abuse the minorities or target them for their own hateful designs. I am ashamed to admit that its a universal problem now which is kind of anarchism and not racism exactly.

Well sometimes the minorities can be racist too if they were either in power or they have generalized the majority as bad people. Racism comes in all colors, shapes and sizes. There are people who are able to get away with their racism though. Gigi Hadid posts a lot of racist stuff against Asians but she is able to get away from it and say she is not racist because she is dating Zayn Malik who is Asian British, she uses him as a shield from all backlash.

Last edited:
I don't know why people think, believe and even say stuff like this. We all are human beings made by the same God in the same manner. The only difference lies in our place of birth.

This is so sad when educated people say stuff like this. I'm happy that they lost their jobs and I hope now for them this turns out to be a lesson for life.
When will human beings rise above all this?

i wonder what people thinks posting stuff like this online forgetting that internet never forgets, racism is just depressing and I'm happy they were greatly punished at least no one will be writing such again online.There should be decorum online.

Facebook has no fault, people write there what they want and in this case, this lady showed her true face and character, I don't blame the media company because they have fired her.

ion

I think in our country two or more employees lost their jobs every week, by posting on Facebook. This always happened to us but in honest mistake. They will call the company for having some health problem so, they need to absent, but they will post something on facebook that they were on vacation. :)

Oh really,then it high time people start thinking before posting on any platform online.I hate racism and such I detest racists. It was a good penalty I believe I think people will be more caution about their rants and posts on social media.

I have 2 news links that happened in 2 different sides of the world, One in the United States and one in South Africa.

This is Emily Austen, she is a news reporter for Fox Sports and she got fired after she her racist statements on a video from Facebook chat. She basically said some ignorant racist statements that offended many people.

The other person who lost her job today is a South African named Penny Sparrow. She got fired after she posted this statement on Facebook:

I really don't know what these women were thinking but they just lost their high paying job for saying racist stuff online.
Its so sad to hear news about this. I believe in freedom of expression or speech. We must really choose our words that it can't hurt anybody.

The second one look disgraceful and disgusting to read. How do some people still have the mind to address other humans as monkeys? It's nice that they lost their jobs as this will serve as a lesson to other to know how to talk especially in public.

Top Bottom