• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Light or dark themes?

I prefer light themes because it is easy to use if the theme is light. It makes the website looks clean. It also easy to read the text if the theme is light.

To be honest, I like dark themes more than light themes, though I don't really mind light themes on websites. I think dark themes help content to stand out and gives a relaxed look for your website - so more professional websites benefit from a clean, light design whilst forums and chat rooms have a more casual feel when designed with light themes. For example; I tend to go onto Discord a lot, and their light design is terrible when compared to their default dark theme. I think websites that focus on chat and discussion really benefit from dark themes that highlight user content and discussion.

I personally prefer to use light color as your theme for your website of course. Light colors are attractive also since the tone of the color is not an eye irritating. Also light color themes are good combination for your font/text because you can partner any color you want if you choose light color theme. It gives the reader an ease to read and a relaxation for their eyes.

ion

Depends on the combinations actually. I like the darker themes if the combination of colors is great, and not really irritating in my eyes, but I know it's hard to do that or to consider that. I think much better is to stay on lighter themes.

zenhashy

Do you prefer lighter themes on forums or darker themes?

Personally, I prefer lighter colours or a combination of light and dark colours. For example, this forum really appeals to me because it is mainly white with a perfectly matching dark colour. Some forums are so dark that they hurt my eyes and I just cannot stay on them for long.
I prefer dark themes. But I know most people wanted it to be lighter. It is may be because it is refreshing to the eyes. Why I prefer dark themes? It is because it catches my attention and it shows strong feelings and emotions.

Isozceles

I prefer dark themes on websites, they are easier on my eyes and generally that makes it easier for me to navigate the said page. For example, I've been on several forums and this is the only one so far with a dark theme, and I'm loving it. I'm not saying that I hate lighter themes, most websites have them and they are nice enough, but if I had the option to change the color of the website, I would make most of them darker.

Award21

I use light and always have. Years ago when I first started using the site I didn't know there was an option so I just got used to it. I wouldn't throw a fit if they just forced the dark theme though.

Personally I like darker themes with white text.That's why I like this forum's design. Darker themes with white text doesn't hurt eyes. And more specifically we can read the text easily. Besides, this theme is also awesome. It's very cool.

Trish23

It depends on the theme of the site. If its horror themed then it should be dark. But most developers use light colors. Light colors are relaxing to look at.

Trish23

Do you prefer lighter themes on forums or darker themes?

Personally, I prefer lighter colours or a combination of light and dark colours. For example, this forum really appeals to me because it is mainly white with a perfectly matching dark colour. Some forums are so dark that they hurt my eyes and I just cannot stay on them for long.
I
I personally prefer light colors. It relaxes ionce eyes and gives life to the website.

I prefer dark themes. They work really well on my computer. I also find it much easier to read compared to overly bright colors. They make me want to read more.

I prefer light themes because it is easy to use if the theme is light. It makes the website looks clean. It also easy to read the text if the theme is light.
I can see why. They really emphasize the neatness of most compatible designs. I mostly see this for photography sites. It allows people to focus on the richness of the photographs.

I prefer lighter colors. I just feel like dark colors give me negative thoughts. I always want to be positive in my life so I prefer light colors. Seeing light colors in a website is such a pleasing and beauty in the eyes. Having dark colors are like hell for me.

I prefer lighter colors. I just feel like dark colors give me negative thoughts. I always want to be positive in my life so I prefer light colors. Seeing light colors in a website is such a pleasing and beauty in the eyes. Having dark colors are like hell for me.
It's really a matter of preference. I like light colors too. I just don't like them when it hurts my eyes. Such as when reading stuff with small letters. It makes it hard to read. So I prefer a background that's gentle on the eyes. Imagine reading on a white screen with really bright colors and bright light. That would be painful. :D

Award21

It's really a matter of preference. I like light colors too. I just don't like them when it hurts my eyes. Such as when reading stuff with small letters. It makes it hard to read. So I prefer a background that's gentle on the eyes. Imagine reading on a white screen with really bright colors and bright light. That would be painful. :D
I agree with you its good to pick a gentle color of a background for website specially those people who had eye disorder too much color would be difficult to look at.

I agree with you its good to pick a gentle color of a background for website specially those people who had eye disorder too much color would be difficult to look at.
This is why some people say they like dark themes. They don't mean total pitch black. They just want a comfortable background with rich colors. You can't really say that a website is pretty if it hurts your eyes. This is the case for many amateur light themed sites. They don't balance the contrast between dark and light colors. :D

nrnlss

For me, I like darker theme compared to lighter theme. Lighter theme sometimes hurts my eyes, unlike darker theme that it is great to eyes and it makes the website look cool too.

amelia88

I gravitate more towards light themes but that's just my personal preference. Design wise I always gravitate towards bright and clean designs. I think dark themes are great too when they're executed well, and I think they work better on certain topics than others.

I think a big part of the theme comes down to the font color used on them, too. That can make or break a design.

It depends how dark the theme is.

I prefer lighter themes only because it's easier on the eyes. Darker themes make my eyes work harder to read the text in it.

Top Bottom