• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Which has better security , dropbox vs google drive

Both these cloud storages have different features, while Dropbox offers only very limited storage capacity Google Drive offers more storage space. Naturally one will be tempted yo use Google Drive but when it comes to safety which is more reliable between these two?

Tornado

Hmm... They are both pretty secure but there are many more people trying to breach Google Accounts than Dropbox, so I say Dropbox is more Secure :)

I think google drive should be safer. I am just cool with the fact Google Drive offers more storage and that makes me think they probably be safer. Being able to make provisions for larger storage I think is a great tech advantage.

But are good, yes google drive offers more storage than dropbox, it would only be at risk if you login on a system, that isn't yours and forget to logout or store your passwords on them. Yes a lot of people try to breach google accounts, but if you have a strong and good password it need not be a problem at all, plus google drive has better security options and dropbox has some tough rules, that I don't like.

I have an issue with Google Drive. But first, let me say that I shifted to Google Drive mainly because of the larger 15 GB of storage against the 2 GB of Dropbox. Anyway, I have noticed lately that the files in the cloud is doing something malicious. This is an actual example, I moved a photo from the folder Posting to the folder Posted. On the next day, when I invoked Google Drive, I noticed that the photo was still in the folder Posting where it should be in the folder Posted. I don't automatically run Google Drive unless I want to synchronize my files (home desktop with my office computer). I am still trying to discover what's wrong because I have noticed such "restore" of the moved file many times already.

Goodman

I dоn’t knоw аbоut Drоpbоx, оnе Drivе, оr оdrivе, but Gооglе tаkеs dаtа sесurity аnd usеr privасy еxtrеmеly sеriоusly аnd gоеs wаy оut оf its wаy tо еnсrypt аnd lосk dоwn аll ассеss tо usеrs’ privаtе dаtа intеrnаlly. I wоuld аssumе thе оthеr sеrviсеs dо thе sаmе sinсе thеy аll hаvе а strоng inсеntivе tо kееp thе dаtа sесurе.
If соmpаniеs thаt mаdе thеsе prоduсts didn’t gо оut оf thеir wаy tо еnsurе thе dаtа is sесurе, nо оnе, еspесiаlly соrpоrаtе сustоmеrs wоuld wаnt tо usе thеm.
Yоu саn furthеr kееp yоur dаtа sесurе by dоing yоur оwn еnсryptiоn bеfоrе uplоаding it tо thе сlоud if yоu аrе rеаlly pаrаnоid, but аs оthеrs hаvе sаid, if yоu’rе еxtrеmеly pаrаnоid fоr whаtеvеr rеаsоn, еnсrypt it аnd stоrе it оn yоur оwn physiсаl stоrаgе, thоugh rеаlistiсаlly еnсrypting thеn uplоаding tо thе сlоud is mоrе thаn gооd еnоugh fоr thе аlmоst аll соmmоn usе саsеs.

kgord

I am not familiar with most of those systems but I do use google drive and I haven't had a problem withe them. I think those who are more serious about their online endeavors may be more comfortable with something like dropbox though. It seems like it has a good security record from what everyone is saying.

fcuco

Google Drive has a serious flaw: they lack a proper Linux client like Drop Box has. The worst part is that there are rumors floating around that they do developed one that they use internally yet for some reason it hasn't been released to the public, and, at this point, it is safe to assume that they will never will. I really don'y understand the reasoning behind this move, but I was forced to use Drop Box for my solution since it runs on a Linux distro server side.

The thing with Google Drive is that, unlike Drop Box, this is not the main revenue source of business purpose of Google, so they can simply slash it at any moment, this is highly unlikely at this point but Google is infamous for killing product lines without notice, granted, Drop Box can go belly up at any moment too but at least that's their entire business model and you can expect them to focus their energy 100% on it, hence the Linux client I guess.

joshposh

I have both and I have not had any security issues with either of them. But as a rule of thumb you shouldn't be storing highly sensitive material on these drives. I place things on there that are low level importance to where I need to send them to someone overseas. I just give them the shareable link via email attachment and that's about it. Real easy simple procedures.

Anything financial is handled directly to the bank websites and not stored on a drive that is free.

I've had an account on both Dropbox and Google Drive for a number of years now and I have to say I haven't had any issues with either of them. As a rule of thumb I would usually say that the bigger company would have the better security so in this case that would be Google (obviously) but while Dropbox in the past as had a few security issues, none of them have affected me on a personal basis so it would be unfair for me to use that as a reason to pick Google Drive over them.

Both have been around for a number of years now, and if you use cloud storage for what it's intended and you don't go saving highly confidential things on there, then I think you can pick either (or even both) and feel that you're protected.

Google is slightly more secure, but Dropbox is also safe

The only surefire way to keep your files safe from attackers is to avoid storing them in the cloud to begin with. But the files you do upload to the cloud still need protection. In this area, Google has the edge.

Google has been an industry leader in two-factor authentication support, allowing you to secure your account by requiring your choice of SMS, an authenticator app, one-tap sign-in on your phone, a phone call with a code, or even a physical key like the one Google requires all of its employees to use. Dropbox, meanwhile, only supports SMS- and app-based authentication tokens. These are better than nothing, but Google gives you more options to protect your account from unauthorized logins.

Google is also a bit better at securing your data while it's on their servers. Both Google and Dropbox encrypt your data while it's traveling from your computer to their servers. Once it's in the cloud, both generate a key that's used to decrypt it when you need to access it. Google takes an extra step by encrypting that key using a second, rotating master key. This essentially means anyone who could steal data from Google's servers would need two keys to read your data, not just the one they'd need if they wanted data from Dropbox's servers. Google also encrypts data when it's in transit between its own servers. This was an extra step the company started taking to protect data from NSA snooping.

Top Bottom